Tuesday 8 April 2014

ArtScene Spencerville Grand Re-Opening


ArtScene Spencerville first opened its doors in 2009 as a venue for local artists and artisans to showcase their works. The gallery also hosts many special events and the public is always welcome to attend. This year the gallery underwent some major renovations and had to be closed for much of the winter season. I was there when it re-opened this past Saturday April 5, 2014. I had arrived exactly at 11am when they said the opening ceremonies would start and I was extremely happy to see that the place was so packed already I could barely get in the door. In attendance were the ArtScene membership, local councillors, TWPEC Mayor Bill Sloan and the MP for Leeds and Grenville since 2004-Gord Brown- I had to grab the photo below from Gord Brown's twitter account because I literally could not squeeze past the excited attendees to get a shot of the ribbon cutting. Therefore the photo credit goes to Mr. Brown! :) Thank you!

Moving on .. The gallery now has a very sleek and modern look and features a coffee corner. Last weekend the two large rooms played host to many of the member's works including; Helen Mott, Arlene Hare, Barry Fawcett, Aubin Farms, Vicki Fawcett , Violet Sorto & Jaffa Tubel JUST TO NAME A FEW! For a full list of members you can visit ArtScene's Artist Page. The month of April will also have a breathtaking exhibit "Wonder's of the Orient" by Colleen Morris-Wilson and Christopher Fawcett.  
 One thing that really grabbed my attention-and believe me there were quite a few things that grabbed my attention- was their guest artist for the month of April. I have heard of steampunk on the television show "Oddities" but had never actually known anyone who produced the 19th century antique inspired pieces. Tasha Thorpe does- and she rocks at it! I has the pleasure of viewing two of her pieces and they are so intricate, functional and possibly the most interesting conversation piece you could buy. That is what keeps me coming back to ArtScene- the friendly atmosphere and the art that leaves me thinking for days afterward.
 I want to congratulate ArtScene Spencerville. The dedicated volunteers that serve this community by providing them with culture, a deep sense of community and of course ART deserve to know how much they are appreciated. By the turn-out last Saturday I think they got the picture but just in case they didn't- THANK YOU & CONGRATULATIONS!
There are currently 4 art-related organizations in South Grenville and I urge you to visit them all.
ArtScene Spencerville
DutchHill Gallery
Galop Gallery
SGGOFA

No comments:

Post a Comment